New WIP DUB documentation

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Thu Aug 18 10:23:35 UTC 2022

On Monday, 15 August 2022 at 21:32:23 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
> Hi all, I'm currently working on new revamped DUB
> documentation, check it out if you want, it currently contains
> most old documentation plus a big bunch of new documentation:
>
> https://docs.webfreak.org/

Thank you for doing this!

Not sure if this would be the right place, or if it is addressed
already, but I repeatedly find myself looking for the right way
to use a local checkout of a package instead of the dub registry,
because I keep forgetting. It would be nice to have a section
like (assuming I got it right):

## Hacking on a local copy of a package

If your project depends on a package in which you have found a
problem, or you would like to experiment with changes to it, you
can force Dub to use a local copy of the package by following
these steps:

1. Fork the git repository
2. Check out a local clone at `/path/to/the_package`
3. Let Dub know about it:
    `dub add-local /path/to/the_package`
4. Make Dub ignore any configured release tag, so you'll see the
effect of current changes:
    `dub add-override the_package * /path/to/the_package`

Now you can go ahead and play. Once your PR has been merged and
released, or you want to revert to upstream, undo your changes by

5. `dub remove-local /path/to/the_package`
6. `dub remove-override the_package *`

-- Bastiaan.