DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 15:51:46 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 15:46:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 15:17:35 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
>> On Sunday, 6 February 2022 at 14:44:40 UTC, Ola Fosheim
>> Grøstad wrote:
>>> It is kinda confusing to call it a user-defined attribute if
>>> it is recognized by the compiler.
>>
>> Compiler-recognized UDAs are an established feature of D. See
>> [`core.attribute`][1] for more examples.
>
> I don't need those? So hence I don't care…
>
> This feature you are proposing with this DIP is a *very
> important one* in my view, and I would use it almost everywhere.

My point is that "I'm confused because I haven't read the
documentation" is a very different complaint from "I'm confused
because this feature is inherently confusing."

`@mustUse` will be documented in both the language spec ([PR][1])
and the DDoc for core.attribute ([PR][2]). If you're still
confused *after* you've read the documentation, feel free to come
back and complain to me then.

[1]: https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/3201
[2]: https://github.com/dlang/druntime/pull/3712