DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 00:56:29 UTC 2022

On Monday, 7 February 2022 at 23:38:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei once asked me for scientific evidence that negations are
> cognitively more difficult for human brains to understand. I
> didn't have it at the time, but did eventually find it and
> forwarded it to Andrei, who was satisfied with it. I didn't
> keep a copy, though.
>
> It's not just my opinion that negations are to be avoided,
> there's research justifying it.
> ..

I certainly don't discount such research.

However, I expect there is also research that says something
different ;-)

Also, I expect you're talking about linguistics, and not
programming languages. Truths may hold in one, and not other.

Regardless, the research I am familiar with, tells me that we are
psychologically biased towards cognitive schemas that we already
hold.

Changing ones cognitive schemas is not effortless, and, since D
is very much focused on attracting programmers from the C++
world, the existing schemas those users hold should always be
factored into ones thinking when implementing change in D.