DIP 1038--"@mustUse" (formerly "@noDiscard")--Accepted

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 01:40:38 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 8 February 2022 at 01:25:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Sorry, all those negations made my brain explode.
>
> P.S. English has examples of negation issues, such as:
>
> "I could care less."
>
> which makes no sense at all, until you realize it's just a
> shortened version of "I couldn't care less." The addition or
> subtraction of the negation does not change the meaning, as the
> brain doesn't do a good job recognizing it.
>
> The phrases "not no-way", and "not no-how" use multiple
> negations to emphasize, rather than negate.

I often say to my cat 'what are you doing' .. but what i really
mean is 'don't do that'.

by avoiding negation, I'm probably just confusing my cat as to
what i really meant.

mustuse -> I must use it? Why must i use it? How must I use it?
What happens if
i don't use it.

nodiscard -> don't discard it. nice and simple (just like 'don't
do that').