Teaching D at a Russian University

matheus matheus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 04:38:46 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 February 2022 at 03:44:42 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Yes, this is a perfectly correct use of "for" as a coordinating
> conjunction. [1] It may come across as a bit formal or
> old-fashioned, though—in normal speech, you'd usually use
> "since".
>
> [1] https://writing.wisc.edu/handbook/grammarpunct/coordconj/

Interesting, since English is not my first language, if in that
sentence instead of "for" there was the word "since", I wouldn't
have been bothered, but since it was the first time I saw the
usage of "for" in that way, I found awkward.

After that I even look into a translator which gave the same
translation with "since" and "for" in that sentence.

Well living and learning. :)

Matheus.