Teaching D at a Russian University

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 11:08:53 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 20 February 2022 at 10:58:57 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 February 2022 at 09:58:39 UTC, Ogi wrote:
>> On Sunday, 20 February 2022 at 03:23:03 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So do I. I enjoy the unusual phrasings some ESL people use.
>>
>> Translator here. Actually, that was our collective effort
>> towards weird wording. The original translation I sent to Mike
>> for editing stated “*for once* header files are not
>> required”—I meant *for instance* but confused is with *for
>> once*. Mike, instead of correcting it into *for example* or
>> *for instance*, simply dropped *once*. Then I missed it when
>> reviewing his edits.
>
> Haha. I interpreted "for once" to mean "on this occasion",
> which seemed really out of context. "for" worked as a more
> general substitute for it. "for example" never crossed my mind.
> I'll change it.

Thought to be honest, given that the preceding sentence says "the
difference between declaration and definition lose their
meaning", it reads to me like "such nuances" refers to the
nuances of header files, so to then say "for/because header files
are not required" makes perfect sense. "for example, header files
are not required" feels a little redundant from that perspective.
But I've made the change anyway, for it fits from a different
perspective :-)