Why I Like D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Wed Jan 12 17:42:46 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 16:52:02 UTC, Arjan wrote:
>> I wonder if there is just so much fear of the GC vs people who
>> actually tried to use the GC and it failed to suit their
>> needs. I've never been afraid of the GC in my projects, and it
>> hasn't hurt me at all.
>
> I think it stems from experience from long ago when JAVA was
> HOT and sold as the solution of all world problems, but failed
> to meet expectations and was dismissed because they found is
> was the GC what made it fail..
>
> A lot of engineers just repeat the opinion of some guru they
> admire without fact checking.
>
> Although I've seen various serious performance issues with JAVA
> and python software, only once it was related to the GC..

I don't think they're necessarily wrong. If you don't want to
deal with GC pauses, it may well be easier to use an approach
that doesn't have them, in spite of what you have to give up. On
the other hand, many of them have no idea what they're talking
about. Like claims that a GC gets in your way if the language has
one.