Why I Like D

forkit forkit at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:48:39 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 12 January 2022 at 16:14:54 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:

> I wonder if there is just so much fear of the GC vs people who
> actually tried to use the GC and it failed to suit their needs.
> I've never been afraid of the GC in my projects, and it hasn't
> hurt me at all.
>
> -Steve

No. Fear is irrelevant.

Fear of GC is just a catch-all-phrase that serves no real
purpose, and provides no real insight into what programmers are
thinking.

It's all about autonomy and self-government (on the decision of
whether to use GC or not, or when to use it, and when not to use
it.

Programmers want the right of self-government, over their code.

This is not politics. It's human psychology.

It is, to a large extent I believe, what attracts people to D.

I don't believe people are attracted to D because it has GC.
There are better languages, and better supported languages, with
GC.

D should not spend time promoting 'GC', but rather promote how
programmers can have this autonomy.

Also, the idea that 'GC' means you never have to think about
memory management... is just a ridiculous statement..

..Every programmer *should* be thinking about memory management.