Why I Like D

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Jan 14 09:18:23 UTC 2022

On Friday, 14 January 2022 at 02:13:48 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 01:19:01AM +0000, forkit via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote: [...]
>> [...]
> [...]
>> [...]
>
> How is using D "losing autonomy"?  Unlike Java, D does not
> force you to use anything. You can write all-out GC code, you
> can write @nogc code (slap it on main() and your entire program
> will be guaranteed to be GC-free -- statically verified by the
> compiler). You can write functional-style code, and, thanks to
> metaprogramming, you can even use more obscure paradigms like
> declarative programming.
>
> [...]

When languages are compared in grammar and semantics alone, you
are fully correct.

Except we have this nasty thing called eco-system, where
libraries, IDE tooling, OS, team mates, books, contractors, ....
are also part of the comparisasion.

And in that regard it doesn't matter how great D is against C#
10, if C# 10 gets me 90% there with a legion of libraries, IDE
tooling, OS, team mates, books,.... to help me getting there.
Using C# version explicitly here, because since C# 7 the language
has grown multiple features that used to be only on the D's side
of the comparisasion.

Naturally C# 10 was only an example among several possible ones,
that have a flowershing ecosytem and keep getting the features
only D could brag about when Andrei's book came out 10 years ago.