Why I Like D

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 18:54:26 UTC 2022

On 1/14/22 1:20 AM, Araq wrote:

> Plus with D you cannot really work at the "high level" at all, it is
> full of friction. Is this data const? Or immutable? Is this @safe?
> @system? Should I use @nogc? Are exceptions still a good idea? Should I
> use interfaces or inheritance? Should I use class or struct? Pointers or
> inout? There are many languages where it's much easier to focus on the
> PROBLEM DOMAIN. Esp if the domain is "shell-script substitute".

I realize you have a different horse in the language race, but this
statement is completely strawman (as countless existing "high level" D
projects demonstrate)

You might as well say that C is unusable at a high level vs. javascript
because you need to decide what type of number you want, is it int,
float, long? OMG SO MANY CHOICES.

-Steve