D Language Quarterly Meeting Summary for January 2021

Paul Backus snarwin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 14:33:26 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 23 January 2022 at 12:54:16 UTC, Adam D Ruppe wrote:

> I'm not so sure. Isn't the whole point of the versioning thing
> so you can use old things that haven't kept up with the latest?
>
> When it was written, sure, they used import std because that's
> easy and of course they want the latest stuff.
>
> Then a year later, the latest has moved on and now it is broken.

Unless we ship every std version with the compiler forever,
things will break anyway, because someone will have to go back
and add `undead` as a dependency when std.v{n-1} is removed from
the official distribution.

Absolutely-no-breakage-ever is basically the C++ approach, and I
have already explained why I think it's a bad idea, though I
recognize that reasonable people can disagree on this point.