The D Programming Language Vision Document

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 12:21:57 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 3 July 2022 at 11:39:45 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Language evolution doesn't really mean much until we get all of
> this sorted.

Good point.

> That's right. But Walter wants to minimize its use in Phobos
> v2, and there's a strong desire to have a pay-as-you-go
> DRuntime. I'm not the person to speculate on how the GC fits
> into that, but I do know they don't yet want git rid of it.

Yes, the Phobos issue is probably a good point, but I don't think
the standard library prevents experienced developers from doing
anything (People can write their own or use third party
solutions).

Although I have been pro GC-free in the past, I am also not so
sure if GC-free is the sweet spot in 2022 (due to Rust and C++
having reduced friction significantly).

To my mind the sweet spot for larger applications would be to
write your own runtime/GUI-framework/libraries in @system and
cover your @safe application code with a convenient «non-stop»
(or at least only «local stop») GC/ARC solution.

But I understand that you cannot say anything specific on this at
this point in time.

>(On a related note, I'll soon be publishing a video of a
> conversation I had with Walter about origins of D, and he said
> something there about the GC that really surprised me.)

That would be interesting to hear more about as the GC was what
surprised me the most when I first tried D as a C++ «descendant».