The D Programming Language Vision Document

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Jul 3 17:27:43 UTC 2022

 > Stronger integration with other languages

One of the things I judge D's compilers by is how well they can build a
shared library.

This is crucial for a lot of different applications of D and can be an
complete stopper in using D if it doesn't "just work".

To be blunt this is embarrassing, this should have been a top priority
10+ years ago...

 > Phobos and DRuntime

I am very worried that this is going ahead without signatures.

Its a major usability issue that concepts like ranges are not written
into a function signature and is a common tripping point for people new
to the language.

I've been meaning to talk with Walter about this, this year. Times just
haven't lined up at BeerConf to sort out lining up my designs into
something that could actually go in.

 > No wstring or dstring. Any functions in Phobos v2 that deal with
strings should deal exclusively with the string type. Users can convert
from and to the other string types as needed.

NOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That's going to bite us big time when it comes to Unicode handling which
wants to work with dstring's.

 > Provide automatic CI for actively-maintained third-party projects.

I would like a big endian system to be included if possible, if a
library is actively maintained you don't want surprises to arise from that.