The D Programming Language Vision Document

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Jul 3 18:33:29 UTC 2022

On 04/07/2022 6:10 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> People who are willing to use 4 bytes per code point are probably using
> third party C-libraries that have their own representation, so you have
> to convert anyway?

If you use Unicode and follow their recommendations, you are going to be
using dstrings at some point.

For example, string equivalence, and anything to do with case is going
to use them and very likely to require multiple memory allocations to do it.

Its just an unnecessary goal, when most of the string algorithms we have
probably don't care about the encoding and those that do probably will
be using dstrings.