The D Programming Language Vision Document

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 20:16:35 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 3 July 2022 at 19:32:56 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
> It is required for string equivalent comparisons (which is what
> you should be doing in a LOT more cases! Anything user provided
> when compared should be normalized first.

Well, I think it is reasonable for a protocol to require that the
input is NFC, and just check it and reject it or call out to an
external library to convert it into NFC.

Anyway, UTF-8 is the only format that isn't affected by network
byte order… So if you support more than UTF-8 then you have to
support UTF-8, UTF16-LE, UTF16-BE, UTF-32LE, UTF-32BE…

That is five formats for just a simple string… and only UTF-8
will be well tested by users. :-/