GCC 12.1 Released (D v2.100-rc.1)

Witold Baryluk witold.baryluk+d at gmail.com
Sat May 7 20:14:51 UTC 2022

On Friday, 6 May 2022 at 11:57:47 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am proud to announce another major GCC release, 12.1.

Thank you so much Ian on your hard and dedicated work on GDC. It
is my goto default compiler for D on Debian Linux. (I use ldc and
sometimes dmd sporadically, but only for testing compatibility).

Glad to have newer GCC backend, frontend up to date with DMD, all
the Phobos work, and various architectures supports landing!

> Update the compilers on the GDC compiler explorer site to
> version 12, and other continued maintenance on the testing
> infrastructure, the costs of which are now covered by the kind
> sponsors of GDC. If you are interested in helping support the
> on-going development of GDC, you can do so by making a donation
> to the D Language Foundation.

Good you mentioned that! I was not aware of the sponsorship
program, and now that I know, I gladly will chip in (well, just
did it moments ago). For testing infrastructure, I would suggest
tracking compilation speed and memory usage and output binary
size of GDC on amd64 and aarch64 at least (to detect compiler
getting slower, or due to growth of Phobos / druntime), and
having a public website showing this data. Something like this
maybe https://fast.vlang.io/

Cheers.