Release: serverino - please destroy it.

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun May 8 23:44:42 UTC 2022

On 5/8/22 16:10, Adam Ruppe wrote:
 > On Sunday, 8 May 2022 at 22:09:37 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
 >> That effectively uses multiple GCs. I always suspected that approach
 >> would provide better latency.
 >
 > My cgi.d has used some fork approaches for a very long time since it is
 > a very simple way to spread this out, it works quite well.

While we are on topic :) and as I finally understood what generational
GC is[1], are there any fundamental issues with D to not use one?

Ali

[1] Translating from what I wrote in the Turkish forum, here is my
current understanding: Let's not waste time checking all allocated
memory at every GC cycle. Instead, let's be smarter and assume that
memory that survived through this GC cycle will survive the next cycle
as well.

Let's put those memory blocks aside to be reconsidered only when we
really have to. This effectively makes the GC only play with short-lived
objects, reducing the amount of memory touched. This would make some
objects live forever, but GC never promises that all finalizers will be
executed.