Release: serverino - please destroy it.

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 9 05:55:39 UTC 2022

On Monday, 9 May 2022 at 00:25:43 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> In the past, the argument was that write barriers represented
> an unacceptable performance hit to D code.  But I don't think
> this has ever actually been measured. (Or has it?)  Maybe
> somebody should make a dmd fork that introduces write barriers,
> plus a generational GC (even if it's a toy,
> proof-of-concept-only implementation) to see if the performance
> hit is really as bad as believed to be.

Implementing write barriers in the compiler (by instrumenting
code) means that you're no longer allowed to copy pointers to
managed memory in non-D code. This is a stricter assumption that
the current ones we have; for instance, copying a struct (which
has indirections) with memcpy would be forbidden.