D Language Foundation October 2022 Quarterly Meeting Summary

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Wed Nov 2 08:57:58 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 2 November 2022 at 04:42:06 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> ## Iain
> For the benefit of the industry folks who only join us in the
> quarterlies, Iain recapped some of the things he'd covered in
> the two previous monthly meetings, such as the move to
> Backblaze for downloads.dlang.org and docharchives.dlang.io,
> the transition to Cloudflare that gives us the benefit of free
> data transfer with Backblaze, and the general tidying up of the
> dlang.io namespace.
>
> He then said that Martin Nowak will not be doing any more
> releases of the D language. Iain had been going through the
> build scripts that we currently have and figuring out what
> needs to be done to tailor them to run in GitHub Actions. It
> was taking much longer than he had anticipated. In the interim,
> he thought he could at least merge master into stable and get
> some 2.101.0 alpha builds set up by hand. (He then [announced
> the first beta on October
> 17](https://forum.dlang.org/thread/etvlqbomriskyeihzpuv@forum.dlang.org).)

The release candidate is out now!

https://dlang.org/download.html

We plan to do v2.101.0 release on the 14th November.

> Next, he gave us a summary of his experience at the GNU
> Cauldron where he attended a meetup of GCC/GDB maintainers. He
> reported that there are some really interesting things going on
> with GCC internals regarding the direction in which they're
> taking the compiler, including several things we're doing
> already. For example, they're adding options to automatically
> initialize all static variables to 0 or a bitmask. This sort of
> thing is good news for him, as he currently has to do all the
> memsets by hand in GDC. It's a win if the middle-end can do
> this for him. If you're interested in all the GCC internal
> changes that Iain was gushing about and how he can benefit from
> them in GDC, please ask him :-)

Correction, initialize all *local* variables. This new feature of
GCC was added to increase the security and predictability of a
program by preventing uninitialized memory disclosure and use.

This really shifts the dynamics between front-end (language
implementation) and middle-end (compiler framework), because now,
if GCC fails to zero out all bits in an object, it's no longer a
GDC bug, rather a GCC security issue. :-)