D Language Foundation July 2022 Quarterly Meeting Summary

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Fri Sep 2 13:48:20 UTC 2022

On Sunday, 28 August 2022 at 11:04:45 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 8/28/22 6:37 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
>> SARC has marked a major milestone in that their 500KLOC
>> Extended Pascal codebase has been completely transcompiled to D
>
> This is awesome! I remember that talk, and it was very
> interesting.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> -Steve

Thank you!

The process takes several times longer than anticipated, but we
are not giving up :-)

Although it is an important milestone, it doesn’t mean we can now
all code in D. Almost all commits still happen in Pascal. I have
started transpiling every commit separately, to create a commit
history in D that overlaps the Pascal history for some period.

Next week we plan on using the D versions of our software
internally, to expose a larger surface area to testing and
scrutiny. This is arguably a bigger milestone.

What we all look forward to the most is the last milestone
though, where we’ll freeze the Pascal repository and switch from
programming in Pascal to programming in D overnight.

— Bastiaan.