DIP1044---"Enum Type Inference"---Formal Assessment

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 19:27:54 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 25 April 2023 at 04:54:43 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> I submitted DIP1044, "Enum Type Inference", to Walter and Atila
> on April 1. I received the final decision from them on April
> 18. They have decided not to accept this proposal.
>
> [snip]

I didn't follow this too closely last year, but I don't see a lot
wrong with the "implicit with" approach (or at least I'm not sure
how wrong it would be, I would lean toward adding it to a preview
switch and see if it broke anything). The DIP proponents would
argued against that approach seem to just be saying that the DIP
is more powerful than that. Sure, that may be true, but this is
also a situation where they probably shouldn't let perfect be the
enemy of good. I'd rather "implicit with" than using strings and
mixins to hack together the same effect for function argument
lists.