DIP1044---"Enum Type Inference"---Formal Assessment

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 03:10:06 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 26 April 2023 at 01:26:03 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 4/25/2023 4:12 PM, max haughton wrote:
>> I have never been in favour of D having bitfields. This isn't
>> worth breaking stuff for.
>
> D bitfields didn't break anything. Also, it exposed an
> overlooked bug in the ImportC bitfields.

I forgot to add a  paragraph ("this" was meant to refer to the
enum changes), but any change to the grammar can break formatters
and autocomplete engines and so on - good formatters shouldn't
use an AST so bitfields in particular might have been OK but the
point stands in general.

At the moment ldc currently doesn't have bitfields so D basically
doesn't have them as a serious feature.