Versatile Serialization Library: Empowering Recursive Data Serialization and Deserialization

Comander vandal at gmx.com
Thu Aug 24 22:52:32 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 24 August 2023 at 21:29:34 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> On Thursday, 24 August 2023 at 14:36:41 UTC, Comander wrote:
>> I've created a foundational library designed to simplify
>> recursive serialization and deserialization processes. This
>> comprehensive tool offers assistance for fundamental types
>> such as integrals, byte arrays, strings, and even arrays of
>> objects. The primary objective is to enhance the efficiency of
>> serialization and deserialization procedures on the whole.
>> While there's room for improvement in the repository at
>> https://github.com/Comander11/sd, it does deliver on its
>> commitments.
>
> I hate to be that guy, but what does this library actually add
> that others in the past haven't provided? It seems like it's
> serializing to a simple size-prefixed binary format, but isn't
> that already done by msgpack or protocol buffers or mir's serde
> module (I think it was called that). Surely it would be more
> productive in the long term to focus on one central
> serialization/deserialization library, which could ideally sit
> in phobos, rather than every new person proposing their own
> flavor.

The intention behind my library was to build upon these
foundations while addressing some specific use cases and needs
that I encountered in my own projects. I focused on providing a
streamlined and easy-to-use solution for recursive serialization
and deserialization. ust to clarify, my project wasn't cooked up
with the intention of nestling into the cozy confines of the
standard phobos library. I understand where you're coming from.
Nobody wants to come across as overly critical. It's true that
the tech world is familiar with different approaches – some folks
dive into action while others prefer to offer constructive
feedback/critic.