D Language Foundation August 2023 Monthly Meeting Summary

harakim harakim at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 02:10:25 UTC 2023

On Friday, 25 August 2023 at 01:20:28 UTC, matheus wrote:
> Reading over about other languages CT problems I wonder how
> this half second is too terrible.  =]
> I barely see any difference between 500ms to 1000ms.

I love the fast compile time of D. It feels so freeing.

Contrast that to a Visual Studio solution I have with over 700
projects and it takes 5 minutes to compile. Just compiling one
project takes around 30s. That doesn't include the 75000 tests.
It does bother me, but it's not so far outside the norm.

I'm also curious why a 500ms compile time would be generally
recognized as way too long. Is it because it has potential to be
faster or does it cause some legitimate problem? That's a
question at large, not for Matheus.