D Language Foundation October 2023 Quarterly Meeting Summary

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 10 22:59:06 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 10 December 2023 at 16:08:45 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Sunday, 10 December 2023 at 15:31:55 UTC, Richard (Rikki)
> Andrew Cattermole wrote:
>
>> It will be interesting to hear how dcompute will fare in your
>> situation, due to it being D code it should be an incremental
>> improvement once you're ready to move to D fully.
>
> Yes, dcompute could mean another leap forward. There are so
> many great things to look forward to.
>
> -- Bastiaan.

Always happy to help if you're interested in looking into using
dcompute. I can't remember if we've talked about it before, but
if you were wanting to use it you'd need OpenCL 2.x (explicitly
the 2.x version series, or make sure the 3.x implementation
supports SPIRV) running on that 20 logical core box (or if it has
GPUs attached to it, CUDA (any version should do) for NVidia GPUs
or OpenCL 2.x (as above) on any other GPUs).

With regards to the stack corruption there is
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/blob/master/gen/abi/x86.cpp#L260 which has been there for some time. It would be fairly simple to issue a diagnostic there (although getting source location from there might be a bit tricky) for when there is both a `byval` and an alignment specified.

Or you could use grep with `--output-ll` as noted by Johan
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/4265#issuecomment-1376424944 although this will be with that `workaroundIssue1356` applied.