Poll for D Game Dev

Jordan Wilson wilsonjord at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:25:42 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 4 January 2023 at 02:54:51 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> 1: Would you be interested in participating in a D game jam?

Sadly, being time poor means participating is unlikely.

> 2: Why did you started using D for developing games?
It's the language I'm most comfortable with.

> 3: What frameworks, libraries or game engines are you using for
> D? Are you developing your own?

Allegro and entitysysd.

> 3.1: What do you like more about the framework you're using?
> 3.2: What do you dislike about the framework you're using?

I find allegro fairly straight forward although some simple 3d
stuff was pretty hard to understand and get working. What I
dislike about ECS is that it it sill doesn't feel like a totally
comfortable way to think (i.e. OOP still seems to be more
natural). Since I'm doing it for learning, I'll persist.

> 4: What the D ecosystem is missing for you to develop your own
> game?

I followed a tutorial in a book and got a simple 2d game running
where a character ran around collecting coins while time ran out.
It used the Godot Engine, with Python as the language. It took an
afternoon. I don't think I could do something similar for D in an
afternoon, but perhaps I should try using what's on offer
currently, or perhaps it can be the start of my own engine...

> 5: How much do you care about the game engine being betterC
> compatible? And why?

Neutral

> 6: Which kind of game do you plan to develop? 2D or 3D? Which
> platform are you targeting?

2D, Windows and Linux.

> 7: Are you looking to sell your game or just toying with the D
> language ( not going to make any serious project )? Why?

Hobby. Although I'd love to make a game worthy of people paying
$1 on Steam...

Hope this helps,

Jordan K. Wilson