Good News: Almost all druntime supported on arsd webassembly

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Jan 6 22:13:15 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 12:52:43PM +0000, Hipreme via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> Hello people. I have tried working again with adam's wasm minimal
> runtime, and yesterday I was able to make a great progress on it.
[...]
> All those tests are currently passing. That means we almost got all
> the common features from the D Runtime into Arsd custom runtime.
> Meaning that the only thing that would be missing right now being the
> WASI libc. But my engine is not going to use it entirely, only a
> subset of it. So, I would like to say that whoever wants to play with
> it now is able to do it so.
>

> That being said, I would carefully advice that while I bring those
> implementations, I didn't care about memory leaks, so, it is a runtime
> without GC: careless allocations. But! It is possible to port some
> programs specially if you're already doing house clearing yourself. As
> my engine does not leak memory in loop (as that would make it trigger
> the GC and thus make it slow), it is totally possible to use it.
[...]

This is awesome stuff, thanks for pushing ahead with it!!  Keep this up,
and I might actually decide to use your game engine for my projects. ;-)

The big question I have right now is, what's the status of interfacing
with web APIs such as WebGL?  How much JS glue is needed for that to
work?  My dream is for all of the JS boilerplate to be automated away,
so that I don't have to write a single line of JS for my D project to
work in WASM.

Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.