D Contributor Tutorials Part 1 - Building the Compiler From Source

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 19:28:59 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 8 January 2023 at 11:27:14 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Have you ever considered hacking on the D compiler but were
> intimidated by the build process? Dennis Korpel has been
> working on a series of video tutorials aimed at helping
> potential contributors establish a foundation from which to
> start contributing code.
>
> In this first tutorial of the series, he gives an overview of
> what happens when compiling a D source file, then shows how to
> set up an environment from which to build dmd and the standard
> library/runtime binary. The next video will use this setup to
> start making changes to dmd.
>
> https://youtu.be/iLN4rQkk4Fs
>
> The plan is to publish a new tutorial in the series every two
> weeks, so you can look for the next tutorial on January 22.
>
> Thanks to Dennis for offering to put these videos together.
> Even a short video like this one takes a significant time
> investment to go from concept to publication. I'm certain there
> are people out there who will find them beneficial.

Last time i tried to build DMD to finish a PR i had was a
miserable expenrience that i decided to give up
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/14418

The Wiki is outdated and mentions tools that do not exist
https://wiki.dlang.org/Building_under_Windows

I updated it with the little information i had but that still
wasn't enough to be able to build the whole thing

I even asked on the forum for some help, wich was met with
silence
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/aapqglgpugyuimhofxiq@forum.dlang.org?page=1

While this video definitely help, but i'm not going to rewind to
find information on a 7minutes video, it should be a simple
document, with a set of simple scripts and they should put
accessible under the DMD repo

It shouldn't be that convoluted