Qonquest 2 - A simple strategy game written in D

TheZipCreator thezipcreator at protonmail.com
Thu Jan 26 01:29:09 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 26 January 2023 at 00:16:09 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 January 2023 at 23:38:36 UTC, TheZipCreator
> wrote:
>> I made a simple strategy game in D, as a sequel to another
>> strategy game I made a while ago, but this time with graphics
>> (the previous one was just in the terminal). I used
>> `arsd.simpledisplay` for the graphics, although I mostly just
>> used the provided OpenGL 2 functions.
>>
>> For buttons that have numbers, left clicking numbers increases
>> them, right clicking numbers decreases them, and holding shift
>> does that 5 times. Besides that, the rest of the controls
>> should be relatively intuitive.
>>
>> You can [download it from
>> github](https://github.com/TheZipCreator/qonquest2/releases/tag/2.1.0) or from [itch](https://thezipcreator.itch.io/qonquest-2)
>

> Saw that on github: "HOPEFULLY fixed a bug on windows where you
> wouldn't be able to deploy or move troops"
>

> Seems like it didn't fix :(
>
> The only button that works is the one that makes you lose.
>
> So, for this game, at least on itch io:
> - Needs a screenshot
> - Never say "it should be relatively straightforward", if your
> game is not working as expected, it will make your players feel
> bad (didn't work here). Just do an objective list on how the
> input works
>
> On the game:
> - The game does not like resizing the window ( I wasn't able to
> click anything after resizing and in my screen I can barely
> read it)
> - This genre really deserves at least a mini tutorial
>
> WARNING:
> - Virus scanner activated on windows (but virus free
> thankfully), try checking if there is some way to not let that
> happen
>
> Keep in mind that most people that is going to play your game
> is not a computer expert, and everyone I knew freak out in the
> idea of getting a virus, this is super important if you wish to
> distribute your game.

yeah, I just had the virus scanner pop up with my windows tester.
I'm not exactly sure how to prevent that from appearing (a quick
search doesn't really yield any useful results, it's all about
how you can mark things as 'not a virus' with windows defender on
your personal pc, which is not what I'm looking for.), and it's
harder to test considering I don't use windows anymore.

also at some point I'm thinking of making a "how to play" button.
I probably should've done that before the announcement. (By the
way, have you tried increasing the numbers next to the "move" and
"deploy" counters before clicking the button? The game worked for
my windows tester, sorry for the lack of any tutorial whatsoever)