A New Era for the D Community

IchorDev zxinsworld at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 20:03:26 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 13 May 2023 at 15:58:12 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:

> - better enums
>
> - tagged union
>
> - pattern matching
>
> - async
>
> - nullable
>
> - tuple/multiple return (deconstruction)
>
> - allocators (don't do them as classes/interface for the love
> of god)
>
> - implement GC as an allocator

This is a nice list, however I'd like to point out that not all
of these need to be language features.
Nullable already exists in Phobos:
https://dlang.org/library/std/typecons/nullable.html
You might say it should be a language feature, but I nullable
value-types are a bit weird—they can be a value that *isn't a
value*.
Pattern matching can be done in various ways, and the same to
some extent with tuples.

Perhaps a fork of Phobos that's more community-driven would be
good for the language?