Evolving the D Language

Johan j at j.nl
Fri Jul 7 14:00:48 UTC 2023

On Friday, 7 July 2023 at 03:06:28 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> To that end, we have a new switch: -wo

Isn't that just another "deprecation" switch?

I'm now thinking that deprecations in general are causing us
headaches, but the all-or-nothing approach. You either turn all
warnings/deprecations into errors (i.e. keeping your code clean,
preventing people newly introducing deprecated/bad constructs),
or none of them.
If there is a way to selectively enable/disable
warnings/deprecations, then the problem goes away. Because if a
newly introduced deprecation is causing trouble, you can
selectively disable that one and continue development while being
protected from introduction of old deprecations.

I added this in the past but it was slain :((
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/5592

-Johan