Evolving the D Language

IchorDev zxinsworld at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 19:34:01 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 9 July 2023 at 18:51:01 UTC, IchorDev wrote:
> [...]

I felt that I should also clarify that there are some features
that *should* stay dead, for our benefit. I figured I'd name a
few.
1. Bugs that some people treated like features. There's a few
listed among D's deprecated features.
2. `body`—find-and-replace is enough to update it, and `body`
shouldn't be a keyword.
3. C-style function pointers. They are absolutely horrid; so hard
to read that it hurts.
4. Escape-string literals seem to have been designed to confuse
people, much like
5. implicit string concatenation.
6. De-referencing arrays with `*`.
7. Comma expression results. Tuples & deconstruction instead
would be nice!

Most of these changes don't really prevent you from doing things
you could previously do with the base language (like removing
class `alias this`), they syntax clean-up that you can mostly
update to with a rudimentary regex or a bit of manual
error-pecking.

P.S. "error-pecking" as in "build, try to fix any compiler
errors, rinse, repeat".