A New Era for the D Community

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu May 4 02:50:24 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 23:24:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> This initiative has my full support.

While I have ceased using D because of my concerns about the
project's future (I discussed my reasons in a previous message
that don't need to be repeated), I have continued to check this
forum occasionally, hoping to see the slope turn positive. Mike's
message and your response are both the kind of thing I was hoping
for.

While there is no guarantee that the effort Mike describes will
have the desired outcome, the mere fact that the effort has been
made and endorsed by you is a significant positive step.

I'm sure I needn't tell you that technical work and project
management require related but different talents. I did both
professionally for a very long time and I certainly was not
equally good at both. You can probably guess which one was the
laggard. But I have seen it done well, having worked for some
really great managers.

One who deserves mention is the late Frank Heart. The ARPANet
(and thus the Internet) would not have existed without Frank's
unique ability to herd the brilliant cats at BBN 50+ years ago.
He's in the Internet Hall of Fame, deservedly. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Heart. Some of the great
people in the history of computer science are in the picture on
that page, including Bob Kahn, who, with Vint Cerf, won the
Turing Award. Both played absolutely key roles in the development
of the Internet.

I really hope that this is the start of something good for this
project. A lot of value has been built here, but the project has
obviously foundered in an organizational way. Project management
is difficult, so the trouble is not surprising or unique. The key
is recognizing that the problems are happening and taking steps
that have a reasonable probability of improving the situation.

I will watch how this unfolds with great interest.

/Don Allen