D Language Foundation April 2023 Monthly Meeting Summary

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Sun May 14 16:02:00 UTC 2023

> Razvan next brought up Teodor Dutu's work on converting
> DRuntime hooks to templates. An intended side effect of this
> effort is that it should make things more usable in BetterC,
> but sometimes, getting real work done in one of these templates
> means calling into the C library (memset, memcpy, etc). This is
> an issue when there's no standard C library.

> Walter said BetterC was never intended to be used without a
> standard C library, so relying on the presence of those
> functions is fine.

Mistake mistake mistake..... betterC != betterLiBC

It means better C

I wanted to target WASM, if your hooks call into libC, i can't
target WASM..

I'm pretty sure i reported an issue about this

Nobody understand the implication when they do stuff with the
compiler

Then we end up with GC everywhere and the only way to workaround
things is to subscribe to -betterC

You keep tell us that the plan is "pay as you go", well, sir,
that kind of issue goes against your plan, so again, what's the
plan?

Dependency on libC just for memcpy.............

Then my project no longer compile, thanks a lot!

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/14910

That reminds me of a dependency on std.exception just to do:
``return result.array``

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/8723

Nobody care anymore.....

Then people wonder things are the way it is