D Language Foundation April 2023 Monthly Meeting Summary

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:02:49 UTC 2023

On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 17:44:20 UTC, Dany12L wrote:
> On Monday, 15 May 2023 at 14:26:52 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>>>
>>> Fine but what do you solve? If you need memcpy you will in
>>> any case have to implement it yourself or use some already
>>> made library.
>>> The same thing happens on D.
>>
>> Please read the linked issue, all it does is it makes it
>> painful for me to debug, when the solution i provide is both
>> pragmatic and simple
>>
>> Not only my solution works for WASM but for everytime one
>> needs to port D to an esoteric platform, the WASI solution
>> only work for people who use WASM AND WASI
>>
>> https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/issues/4324
>
> I've seen but this has been fixed so I don't understand what is
> your problem

If whoever decided to template that function overnight, without
notes on the changelog btw, not call into libc for just memcpy:

- i wouldn't get random segfault
- i wouldn't waste days trying to figure out why my project
wouldn't compile anymore overnight

It's not that "you don't understand", it's you CHOOSE to not
understand

The issue is fixed, great, at what cost? that you chose to ignore

And the problem i have is, according to this Monthly Meeting, the
issue is about to be repeated in the future, who cares about
having a portable runtime? who cares about the users?!

The goal is still pay as you go? or am i the only one who care
about that?