Good News: Almost all druntime supported on arsd webassembly

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Wed Nov 8 09:06:31 UTC 2023

On Monday, 6 November 2023 at 23:44:11 UTC, Lingo Chen wrote:
> On Monday, 6 November 2023 at 11:05:45 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
> wrote:
>>>
>>> https://llvm.org/devmtg/2022-11/slides/TechTalk3-ClangClang-WebAssembly.pdf
>>>
>>> llvm ir seems to have support for the reftype(gc). so it a
>>> compiler problem?
>>
>> Unsure how it's progressed since but as can be seen on the
>> last slide of that pdf, it's work in progress.
>
> Kotlin abandoned llvm and implemented a new wasm backend. So
> waiting for llvm probably is not a good idea?
>
> Is taking D's frontend + binaryen's backend a feasible
> solution? If wasmgc's architecture is a good fit for D. Can it
> be done quickly?

I have only looked approx 5 minutes at it, so its really hard to
say. I expect it to be quite some effort.

There are some things we can do today that are smaller in scope
and will help any future effort, such as reviving my druntime
port. You are going to need that anyway, unless you go with the
custom druntime or betterC route.