DLF September 2023 Monthly Meeting Summary

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:22:42 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 12 November 2023 at 19:50:02 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Well. For the first time in all my years of using these forums,
> I've managed to post something that exceeds the byte limit.
> You'll find the September 2023 Monthly Meeting Summary at the
> following link:
>
> https://gist.github.com/mdparker/f28c9ae64f096cd06db6b987318cc581

Two notes:

- Making the build bit of build.d simpler would be nice although
reading the source code will reveal that it doesn't just build
the compiler.

- I think Martin is wrong about not upstreaming stuff from LDC
into DMD. Nothing good will come of them diverging (which they
already have).

The UX of having multiple compilers is already terrible —
conservatively let's estimate that "oh you need to download LDC
if you want a compiler with an optimizer that works to a modern
standard" halves the number of people bothering to try D.

Every little detail that you have to think about other than
actually writing code hurts D both in terms of adoption and
massive fragmentation of the projects people have to contribute
to.

Standardising proper hooks such that LDC doesn't have to use a
fork of the frontend (it's not really dmd-as-a-library in any
sense that would be tolerated for a smaller project) is also
important dogfooding for the frontend as a codebase.