DLF September 2023 Planning Update

max haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 19:05:49 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 17:57:36 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 November 2023 at 16:07:26 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> [...]
>
> What do we want the first experience with D to be like?
>
> A person trying out D, who writes a one-file simple application
> using phobos *does not care* that a lib abandoned in 2018 still
> compiles. So why should they be the ones paying the penalty?
>
> I get that we want to stop breaking builds. But the answer
> there is simple -- provide a way to do it by attributing the
> files, or by telling the compiler "these files are edition X"
> or whatever. And once you attribute it, it never breaks again.
> Sounds like a reasonable cost to me for those who want
> long-lasting code!
>
> There are other options here. Like use the filesystem to
> identify the edition either via config or filenames.
>
>> [...]
>
> That's not any better. If you have to opt-in to the language as
> it exists, people are going to quit immediately. I'm not joking
> about this. Imagine spending 2 hours trying to figure out why
> your app that is trying out some new feature doesn't compile,
> only to find out after posting online that it was looking at
> some ancient version of phobos.
>
> -Steve

Ergonomically it potentially doesn't have to be quite so binary
e.g. a C++ compiler will tell you to opt-in to a new language
version rather than just erroring.

But, if you have the logic to do that, you can also infer an
*older* edition to keep the abandonware working even though by
default you get the most recent one.