DLF September 2023 Planning Update

Sergey kornburn at yandex.ru
Wed Nov 15 10:26:27 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 15 November 2023 at 09:27:53 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 12:37:29 PM MST Sergey via
> Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:
>> +1 to Steven’s approach
>>
>> Idk why DLF don’t like KISS approach :(
>
> Their focus is on allowing existing dub packages to continue to
> compile without any effort whatsoever on the part of anyone
> using them, because the breakage of dub packages over time as
> the language changes has become a serious issue (that's the
> main reason that they started looking at doing editions in the
> first place).

Maybe I didn't understand the approach.
like let's assume several editions already in place (and we are
in 2030) and the project has several dependencies:
- main code (works with latest version. Latest edition)
- depmain.1 (work only with edition 2022)
- depmain.2 (work only with edition 2023)
  |- dep2.1 (work with editions 2023-2027)
  |- dep2.2 (work only with edition 2029)

So instead of force users to explicitly specify editions in
dub.jsons - DLF propose to use just "dub build" (without any
changes in code of dependency packages and main project) and
somehow each edition should be identified for each package?

> Whether that's the right approach is certainly debatable (and
> personally, I'd rather see something in dub take care of it
> rather than require that new code slap editions stuff
> everywhere), but there is a good reason for the approach that
> they're currently looking at taking.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I think when Grim was ranting about breaking changes and how hard
for him fixing it - he meant fixing real code, and I would be
quite surprise if for him it will be hard to add into his
dub.json/sdl 1 line:
"edition" : ["D2022"]