DLF September 2023 Planning Update

Adam D Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 12:47:06 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 21 November 2023 at 13:13:06 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> I'd argue people come to languages because of arguably alive
> libraries, and dead libraries less so.

Yeah, I think this is solving the wrong problem, but even if we
decide to do it anyway it is very important not to hurt alive
libs in the name of saving dead libs.

If we increase the cost of new and ongoing things, it will lead
to more dead things in the future and this would obviously be a
bad long term result, even if it looks good in the short term.

> When alias this breaks the important thing is in my
> not-so-informed opinion "why DlangUI has few maintenance
> energy" not "how can we make it still build".

Well, part of this too is there needs to be a migration path to
achieve the same (or better) job that you can get it. When the
cost is small, and ideally if it maintains some compatibility for
users with old compilers too, it takes less maintenance energy.