reggae v0.10.0 - The meta build system just got better

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:19:27 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 20 September 2023 at 21:19:22 UTC, Atila Neves
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 September 2023 at 15:24:52 UTC, Andrey
> Zherikov wrote:
>> On Thursday, 7 September 2023 at 17:34:48 UTC, Atila Neves
>> wrote:
>>> https://code.dlang.org/packages/reggae
>>>
>>> For those who don't know, reggae is a meta-build system for
>>> and in D. It's like CMake, if you replace their terrible
>>> language with D*. Like CMake, it can output make and ninja
>>> files. Unlike CMake, it can also output tup files and has its
>>> own binary generator in case the dependency on one of those
>>> programs is undesired. Also unlike CMake, it supports dub
>>> projects out-of-the-box by using dub as a library.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, why do we need one more build tool?
>
> Because we don't have one now. Using CMake for D is horrible,
> and none of the alternatives are that much better. Hand-written
> Makefiles are a nightmare and will never get dependencies
> right. dub isn't a build system, although it includes a very
> limited one that can't be extended. Want to build D and C++
> [snip]

You can call CMake with a pre-build command right? Would it make
sense to add an example of that?

It also might make sense to include in the tests/projects folder
an importC example (not sure it makes sense to include a CMake
example there).