reggae v0.10.0 - The meta build system just got better

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 15:59:10 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 21 September 2023 at 13:38:30 UTC, Andrey Zherikov
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 September 2023 at 21:19:22 UTC, Atila Neves
> wrote:
>> Because we don't have one now. Using CMake for D is horrible,
>
> I would say just using CMake is horrible :-D But there are a
> lot of people using it (even myself) and they all are trapped
> with the language.

Not anymore! ;)

>>> Have you looked as Meson, for example - it even has a
>>> [section about D](https://mesonbuild.com/D.html)?
>>
>> Yes, and even had to use it for D. I don't know what state
>> it's in now, but it was pretty much unusable if one had dub
>> dependencies which... is nearly always the case.
>
> I believe this is applicable to all build systems atm - they
> don't know what dub is and how to deal with it.

Well, no, since reggae *does* know what dub is and uses it as a
library.

>> Then there's the language: I'd rather use D or Python. If
>> anything, Meson's use case could be questioned just as well by
>> "why another build language?".
>
> TBH I thought Meson uses python but just found out it's not. My
> bad.
> Just took a quick look at [known build
> tools](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_build_automation_software#Licensing_overview) and noticed that there are (at least) two build tools that have Python as a build language and support D: [SCons](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCons#Major_features) and [Waf](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waf_(build_system)#Features). Although I don't how well they support it.

I'm aware of both and looked at them many, many, years ago.

> My whole comment was about the reasoning why we need new build
> system and can't improve existing one.

dub, for starters, and the fact that `dub describe` doesn't work.

Then there's building by D package, which isn't going to be easy
anywhere else.