photon v0.7.0 with Windows support(!)

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 19:01:04 UTC 2024

Photon is a minimalistic multi-threaded fiber scheduler and event
loop that works transparently with traditional blocking I/O
C/C++/D/Rust libraries w/o degrading performance.

It took somewhat longer than I wanted but I'm pleased to announce
that Photon now supports Windows. In particular basic socket API
that is used by the likes of std.socket is transparently
converted to overlapped I/O with I/O completion port event loop.
The last obstacle was, of course, accept syscall that is only
blocking on Windows. Now that transparently goes to a dedicated
Windows's native threadpool so as to not block our precious
fibers.

Explore some basic examples here (not all examples can be run on
Windows):
https://github.com/DmitryOlshansky/photon/tree/master/tests

--
Dmitry Olshansky