photon v0.7.0 with Windows support(!)

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Tue Apr 23 17:15:13 UTC 2024

Am 21.04.2024 um 21:01 schrieb Dmitry Olshansky:
> Photon is a minimalistic multi-threaded fiber scheduler and event loop
> that works transparently with traditional blocking I/O C/C++/D/Rust
> libraries w/o degrading performance.
>
> It took somewhat longer than I wanted but I'm pleased to announce that
> Photon now supports Windows. In particular basic socket API that is used
> by the likes of std.socket is transparently converted to overlapped I/O
> with I/O completion port event loop. The last obstacle was, of course,
> accept syscall that is only blocking on Windows. Now that transparently
> goes to a dedicated Windows's native threadpool so as to not block our
> precious fibers.
>
> Explore some basic examples here (not all examples can be run on
> Windows): https://github.com/DmitryOlshansky/photon/tree/master/tests
>
> --
> Dmitry Olshansky
> CEO @ Glowlabs
> https://olshansky.me

That's really nice! How would you judge supporting other kinds of
handles, such as files or events, on Windows?

I guess that the Darwin support will be restricted to freely distributed
macOS applications, as calling `__syscall` surely is a private API that
cannot be used in any AppStore application, right? In that case it would
inevitably put it in a non-consumer application niche, but certainly
wouldn't make it any less interesting for more server oriented tasks.