R and D interop with saucer

data pulverizer data.pulverizer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 23:16:24 UTC 2024

Unfortunately, your statements are, by and large, simply wrong.
Not to mention openly hostile.

On Tuesday, 9 January 2024 at 21:25:30 UTC, Lance Bachmeier wrote:
> That's not "unverified pre-compiled code". As I said, it's an
> import library for Windows, from an attempt long ago to call R
> from D on Windows. You don't call the .dll file directly on
> Windows, you call the .lib file. It's the same thing you do
> with OpenBLAS and many other popular libraries.

The `R.lib` file in this folder
(https://github.com/bachmeil/embedrv2/tree/main/inst/embedr) is
unverified. As a user, I have no real way of verifying what it
is. As far as I am concerned as a responsible user, it posses a
cyber security threat, and a habit of downloading such files onto
my system would result in me getting hacked. You are not a
recognised software distributor such as Microsoft or a recognised
Linux distributor, therefore downloading such file in a business
could result in exposing one's self to unlimited liability with
regards to one's computer systems.

OpenBlas library (https://github.com/OpenMathLib/OpenBLAS), does
not contain precompiled code. But some of the releases do, and
they have checksums (which your library does not), you can run
procedures on your system to verify that they are the same as
those on the repo. HOWEVER, there is trust here, and despite the
fact that OpenBlas is a well recognised library, lots of
workplaces would insist on compiling from source (including
verifying the checksum) to ensure that they are getting what they
expect.

> I'm familiar with Rcpp/RInside/cpp11. If you go to the CRAN
> page for RInside, you'll see I'm one of the authors. If you
> check out Dirk's 2013 book, you'll see that one of the sections
> in it was based on an example I gave him. ...

This doesn't change anything.

> ... You write your D function and metaprogramming is used to
> create a wrapper that you can call from R without further
> modification.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but my package does
what it says it does.

> Since you've clearly never used it and don't know how it works,
> why are you trashing it? I'll let anyone else judge how
> awkward, complicated and lacking in style it is. Here's the
> example from the landing page:

The first part of your first statement is right. I've never used
betterr because I literally just found out about it, but I didn't
trash it. I simply said that it's not how I would go about
things. People have preferences about how they go about doing
things. I can see that the way you do things is very different
mine, and that is okay.

> I don't care that you're not using it. Have fun creating your
> own project. That doesn't excuse writing falsehoods about the
> work I've done.

I AM having fun with my implementation, but I'm NOT trafficking
in falsehoods.