Redub: A faster build system promising 90% compatibility with dub

Renato renato at athaydes.com
Sat Jan 20 15:25:35 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 20 January 2024 at 14:14:10 UTC, Hipreme wrote:

> - I have tried contributing to dub's project on
> parallelization, I waste 1 week trying that and could not get
> it working, so, I decided it would be a better use of my time
> into rewriting a completely new dub which would focus on being
> easy to read -- An example of that is how easily someone was
> able to integrate an experimental support to building C with it.

Could you expand on that? Perhaps someone else could continue
your work.

While I understand you preferred to write your own system (we all
probably prefer greenfield development, after all that means it's
fully yours, and you can fully understand it, own it, and change
it as you see fit which is a very attractive proposition), I'm
afraid your project will only be alive while you have interest in
maintaining it (I've seen similar projects in other languages
before, often they have one or two releases before the author
moves on to the next greenfield project) - unless you manage to
create an active community around it, which is exceedingly
difficult and might be more than you're signing up for once a lot
of people join in and start demanding features - while dub, even
if it's so "buggy" as you claim, is the official tool everyone is
likely to continue to use, and consequently improvements to it
would be highly welcome.