Preparing for the New DIP Process

privateWHAT privateWHAT at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 22:53:15 UTC 2024

On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 07:19:19 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> * establish support for fleshing out ideas before a DIP is even
> written

It's 2024. That should have been the principle a decade ago

Remember how the so called 'discussions' about the 'privateThis'
concept always got heaped on. People just wanted to shut it down
rather that discuss it. 'Go write a DIP' was the
response...remember.

> Previously, I'd always considered development of the DIP
> separate from the DIP "process", which I saw as beginning with
> the submission of a pull request. In reality, the process
> begins even before an author opens an editor to start typing. I
> hope that by recognizing that, and by providing support for
> discussing ideas and writing the DIP, we'll foster an
> environment that still maintains a relatively high bar for DIPs
> that get submitted, but also creates a filter such that
> potential DIP authors can be more confident that they aren't
> wasting their time once they get to the development stage. By
> the time they get there, they'll have no doubt if it's an idea
> worth pursuing.

Bring back the privateThis discussion, so we can put your newly
discovered revelations to the test.

Maybe the folks over at openD can try discussing it too, and see
what happens there ;-)