Preparing for the New DIP Process

Jordan Wilson wilsonjord at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 00:19:54 UTC 2024

On Wednesday, 24 January 2024 at 22:32:12 UTC, FairEnough wrote:
> On Monday, 22 January 2024 at 23:28:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
> wrote:

>> but it's not a feature that has actually been causing us
>> problems, and it really doesn't make sense at this point to
>> change how it works.
> But the argument that it cannot cause a problem, is already
> shown to be wrong.

That wasn't what was said. What was said was "causing US
problems". I.e. on the whole, the lack of class-level privacy
does not appear to be causing widespread problems, which implies
that it's simply lower on the list of feature requests for most
people.

Let me put it another way.
I'm not against class private. I'm not against string
interpolation.
I don't care about class private. I don't care about string
interpolation.
One will soon be in the language, and one will not.

I can only assume lack of string interpolation was causing pain
to more users, than a lack of class private, therefore it got
implemented first.

Jordan