Preparing for the New DIP Process

FairEnough FairEnough at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 11:05:58 UTC 2024

On Saturday, 27 January 2024 at 08:00:32 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
> ..
> When I first used a dynamically typed language, I was
> inevitably caught out by type errors. I understood this to be
> part of the many trade offs all languages make.

Yes, but a big bank would not write its financial applications in
a dynamically typed language, now would it.

In any large complex application, type safety is paramount.

D came about as a reaction to C/C++

Same for Swift.

Same for Go.

But since Go doesn't have a class type, its pointless comparing
implementation between Go and D.

Much better to compare D and Swift in this regards.

There will be some who say 'D did it right', and others who say
'but Swift did it better'.

It may depend on the priority a programmer gives to type safety,
as to which side they are on.

Personally, I don't like being 'caught out by type errors' ;-)