Preparing for the New DIP Process

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 12:34:05 UTC 2024

On Sunday, 21 January 2024 at 07:11:50 UTC, Jordan Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday, 20 January 2024 at 22:53:15 UTC, privateWHAT wrote:
>> On Thursday, 18 January 2024 at 07:19:19 UTC, Mike Parker
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> * establish support for fleshing out ideas before a DIP is
>>> even written
>>>

>> It's 2024. That should have been the principle a decade ago
>>
>> Remember how the so called 'discussions' about the
>> 'privateThis' concept always got heaped on. People just wanted
>> to shut it down rather that discuss it. 'Go write a DIP' was
>> the response...remember.
>
> The class vs module level of encapsulation was fleshed out a
> lot in the forums awhile back. I think it's fair to say most
> people where happy (or neutral) with the status quo, and were
> not convinced by the pro-class-level arguments.
>
> I also suspect those that did prefer class level private (I
> believe this is what Atila prefers), it's not high on their
> list of priorities.

I like private as it is now. Especially because if anyone wants
it to be "class-private", they can do that anyway: write a class
per module like one has to in Java.

My 2 centimes (cos I live in Switzerland) is that if you're
worried about too much code having access to your private
functions, your module is probably too large.